|Study location||United Kingdom, University of Bedfordshire|
|Type||Master courses, full-time|
|Nominal duration||18 Months|
Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
The entry qualification documents are accepted in any language
At least 2 reference(s) should be provided.
A motivation letter must be added to your application.
A choice of careers will be open to graduates upon completion of this
course in the areas of event marketing, event management, special
production strategies and organising events, festival management,
corporate and public sector leisure and tourism services, and event
and exhibition venues. Graduates will also be able to pursue posts as
events consultants and not-for-profit event organisers.
During the course you will:
- Benefit from flexible blended learning delivery
- Benefit from extensive industry links, ensuring ‘real-life’
- Experience ‘world-leading’ staff expertise and research, as rated
by the Government’s Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) 2008
- Explore research-informed teaching and learning
- Study a course underpinned by academic theory in tourism, leisure
Areas of study you may cover on this course include:
- Contemporary issues in tourism
- Research philosophies and principles
- Events management
- Sports tourism
- Strategic tourism and hospitality management
- Research practice in tourism
- Event tourism
- Communications strategies for events
- World making: tourism and globalisation
- International tourism marketing
- Stewardship, tourism and the environment
CAREER MANAGEMENT SKILLS
Students will also be encouraged to contact / join associations and
organisations with a view to developing events management experience
on a voluntary basis, such as:
- The Tourism Society www.tourismsociety.org
- BAFA British Arts Festivals Association.
- ACE Association of Conferences and Events.
- BACD British Association of Conference Destinations.
- MIA Meetings Industry Association. www.meetings.org/
- MPI Meeting Professional International. www.mpiuk.org/
CAREER/FURTHER STUDY OPPORTUNITIES
The MSc Tourism and Events Management is made for the MICE (Meetings,
Incentives, Conferences Exhibitions/Events) Industry, following
consultation with leading professionals in the field. The program
profiles stakeholders within the industry (corporate, government and
association clients, venues and event services and destinations) and
follows market trends. It focuses on teaching specialist strategic
skills in the areas of management, IT and marketing in the events and
meetings management profession.
According to the WTTC (2008) estimates, the events and meetings
management industry has been growing steadily over the last decade and
is worth more than US$672 billion a year. This programme is created to
respond to a marked shortage in skilled professionals, as identified
by the sectors foremost associations (MPI, ICCA, SITE). The University
of Bedfordshire owns at least three different venues, based on its
campuses, providing for personal, professional and academic events.
Courses are delivered by practitioners and academics in the field.
The course should appeal to those working in or hoping to work in
event marketing, event management, special production strategies and
organisers, festival management, corporate and public sector leisure
and tourism services, event and exhibition venues, not-for-profit
event organisers, event consultants.
This course is primarily aimed at people wanting to move directly
into employment, but if you find your studies particularly stimulating
and want to study further then there is always the possibility to
continue to Doctoral studies, i.e. a PhD or a DBA level.
We are currently NOT ACCEPTING applications from NON-EU countries, except Georgia and Serbia.