|Study location||United Kingdom, Park Square campus|
|Type||Master courses, full-time|
|Nominal duration||1 Years|
|Tuition fee||To be confirmed|
Undergraduate diploma (or higher)
At least 2 reference(s) should be provided.
A motivation letter must be added to your application.
The success of the course is reflected in the successful careers of
our former students who have gained, or are about to gain, PhDs.
Others have progressed to careers including Smoking Cessation
Co-ordinator for a NHS Primary Care Trust (PCT), shared care support
worker, Research Assistant in the Child and Adolescent Mental Health
Service (CAMHS) and employees in the Clinical Health Psychology Unit
of Northampton General Hospital.
As a chartered psychologist and registered health psychologist, you
can work within the health sector at managmeent level or apply health
psychology knowledge and methods to educate and improve patient
recovery and health.
During this course you will:
- Experience a forward-thinking and progressive curriculum
- Benefit from excellent links with healthcare providers and the
University’s Postgraduate Medical School
- Benefit from our applied research in areas such as stress and
health and weight management, which has gained national and
international recognition and publication in recognised journals.
Areas of study you may cover on this course include:
- Health psychology in applied contexts
- Lifestyle and individual differences
- Public health
- Effects of health interventions in areas such as health promotion,
chronic stress, eating disorders and addiction
- Advanced research methods for health psychologists
- Stress, coping and chronic disease
- Mechanisms of health and disease
- Professional skills for health psychologists (including
CAREER MANAGEMENT SKILLS
Careers development is built in to the programme in the Health
Psychology in Context module. There is also a research and careers
focus event organised for postgraduate students where researchers and
employers give talks and advice. There is a strong careers department
in the University and a very effective interactive careers web site.
There are sessions delivered by specialist professionals as well as
by the careers service.
CAREER/FURTHER STUDY OPPORTUNITIES
Health psychology focuses on many health related questions such as:
Can recovery from stressful medical procedures be improved? How and
why are some personality types less prone to heart attacks? Does
stress causes illness?
It is an exciting and expansive academic discipline that can lead to
chartered status and a profession in health psychology. As a Chartered
Health Psychologist, you could be working within the health sector at
management level or be applying health psychology knowledge and
methods to educate and improve patient recovery and health.
However, the advanced route to chartership in health psychology is
only one possibility and having completed your degree you will find
that many career opportunities are open to you both inside or outside
the health sector or even psychology. But nonetheless, health
psychology is compelling as both a discipline and a profession.
Studying for the MSc in Health Psychology will give you a good
- Practical applications of psychological theory to enhance health
- Research into patient-practitioner communication
- How to prevent hospitalisation among those living with chronic
- Psychological methods to manage stress, pain or terminal illness
- Use of the health services and the changing nature of medical
- The development of teaching or training programmes to facilitate
- Influencing health policy
We are currently NOT ACCEPTING applications from NON-EU countries, except Georgia and Serbia.