|Study location||United Kingdom, Wallisdown, Dorset county|
|Type||Bachelor courses, full-time|
|Nominal duration||3 years|
|Tuition fee||To be confirmed|
High school / secondary education (or higher)
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
At least 1 reference(s) must be provided.
A motivation letter must be added to your application.
A relevant portfolio is required.
Your portfolio is an important part of your application. The portfolio can be sent over to the university on a CD, via e-mail, you may upload it in the internet or send it by regular post.
Specific requirements for Non-EU applicants:
Due to visa requirements the result of the language test of Non-EU/EEA students must be equal to IELS 6 or higher (with no part under 5.5).
Whether it’s socially concerned documentary or dramatic contemporary fashion imagery, commercial photography has the ability to communicate it’s message. On this course we aim to produce the next generation of visually expressive, fashion, documentary, editorial, portrait and advertising photographers.
We’re looking for people who want to push creative boundaries, challenge industry perceptions and set the agenda for future generations of commercial photographers. You’ll gain a broad understanding of photographic practice and theory as we guide you towards a career in photography and the creative industries. You’ll enter the industry confidently, invested in the creative and critical visual language needed to effectively collaborate within your field of practice.
*subject to validation
· Some of the world’s top photographers started their careers here and we attract a wide range of excellent speakers from the industry including photographers, art directors, picture editors, agents, stylists, and photographic assistants.
· Our experienced team have active practices in: editorial portrait photography, documentary photography, advertising and fashion photography, digital expertise, specialist critical theory and HD video.
· We offer the specialist environment and equipment to experience working at a professional level:* Extensive studios * Black and white and colour darkrooms and film processing * A dedicated digital suite and a location and studio equipment store * A dedicated team of technicians who provide technical assistance and advice to support your studies
Year 1 of the course give you the creative and practical skills to build on during the course.
· You’ll be introduced to photographic techniques and processes through units that emphasise good technique including; digital imaging, lighting for studio and location, darkroom practice (colour and black & white), HD video and a wide range of traditional and digital formats.
· You’ll be introduced to photographic themes and concepts by looking at photography as the key visual medium in the 20th and 21st century.
· Your studies will be supported by guest lectures from visiting photographers and other industry professionals.
· You will have the opportunity to work alongside industry professionals during a period work placement (FdA).
Year 2 will build upon your skills and knowledge and provide opportunities for you to develop your photographic practice within specific areas.
· You’ll be encouraged to reflect on your professional interests and to take responsibility for your learning.
· You’ll develop your creative, research and conceptual skills and combine them with professional awareness and understanding.
· You’ll work on live projects and professional collaboration that help you consider your career options.
· You will have the opportunity to prepare yourself for further study (BA (Hons) year 3) or employment in the creative industries (FdA).
Year 3 allows you to refine your photographic practice, develop and reflect on your experience gained during previous study.
· We’ll help you develop into creatively mature, commercially focused and autonomous photographers.
· You’ll carry out extensive research to advance your practice and to develop your practical, theoretical and intellectual abilities.
· You’ll be able to show a sophisticated understanding of commercial photographic practice and be given opportunities to promote yourself as a photographer.
· You’ll graduate with the qualities and skills necessary not only for employment but also for postgraduate study.
This course is currently offered as a Foundation Degree with BA Top-Up option. We propose to offer the course as a BA (Hons) Degree from 2012 (subject to validation).
We are currently NOT ACCEPTING applications from NON-EU countries, except Georgia and Serbia.