University of Souhampton is a research-intensive university and a founding member of the prestigious Russell Group. University's successes are acknowledged in international and UK league table rankings and with prestigious awards.
Degrees and courses enable you to develop critical thinking and independent learning skills that are essential for future leaders and decision makers. The lecturers are leaders in their fields and offer you the chance to learn about world-changing research as it happens.
- Southampton is in the top 1% Worldwide
- They offer over 350 degree courses
- 86% student satisfaction with overall course quality
- Over 350 clubs and societies
University of Southampton is pleased to welcome students from Latvia to the University each year. In 2016/17 they have 13 Latvian students studying with University of Southampton.
Southampton is among the best cities to live and work in the UK and is placed fourth overall above London in the PwC 2016 Good Growth for Cities Index. It's also just 75 miles from London, with excellent transport connections with the rest of the UK.
Make life-long friends, benefit from high-quality research facilities and get involved in an active student community on all of University of Southapmton campuses.
You can also expect:
- a 330-seat cinema
- food and drinks to suit your taste and needs
- a supportive and active student community
- learning environments to help you excel in your chosen course
- landscaped and scenic surroundings
You will get a different experience from each of the campus’ personalities and academic specialisms:
The bustling Highfield Campus provides the perfect opportunity to get a feel for student life. Take a walk in the scenic gardens where you can find a spot to relax and catch up on reading, absorb the mixture of classical and modern architecture and or meet friends at the buzzing central piazza where the Student Union hosts a variety of events.
Boldrewood campus was created through a partnership between the University and Lloyds Register. The modern architecture houses some of the University’s engineering facilities. Get inspired by the unique backdrop while sitting on the campus’ main plaza. The campus is an 11 minute walk from Highfield which means you can use the facilities between studying.
The University of Southampton’s Waterfront campus, based at the National Oceanography Centre Southampton (NOCS) is home to Ocean and Earth Science, one of the leading marine and earth research centres in the UK. The building itself is unique in its location and community as it holds access to a wealth of cutting-edge facilities, a fleet of research vessels and globally leading experts in their fields.
- Winchester campus
Our Winchester School of Art campus (WSA) is a short walk from the historic Winchester high-street, and just a 60-minute train journey from London. Discover great live music venues, restaurants and festivals in the city centre, browse the exhibitions at the on-campus gallery or clear your mind in the Hampshire countryside. Highlights of the year include the famous summer Hat Fair and the Christmas Market at the Cathedral.
- Malaysia Campus
In the heart of Malaysia’s economic zone you’ll find our Malaysia Campus, set within the EduCity development in Johor and under one hour away from Singapore. With an open-air courtyard, terraces and tropical palms, you can be sure of finding a pleasant place to study or meet with friends. You’ll enjoy the exceptional physical recreation and sports facilities at EduCity, including an Olympic-size swimming pool and 6,000 capacity sports stadium, as well as the practicalities of accommodation at The Student Village, laundrette facilities, cafeteria and prayer room.
- University Hospital Southampton
The University Hospital Southampton is home to our vibrant community of medical students. The first UK Medical School to be awarded the international ASPIRE award for excellence in student engagement, collaborative learning goes beyond our excellent library resources and Centre for Anatomical Sciences; you can chat and share a coffee in Costa or a Panini in the M&S Café with researchers and scientists involved in ground breaking medical research. Alternatively join the many diverse MEDSOC events, clubs and socials; and public engagement opportunities.
Univesrity of Southampton also has information about the private rental markets in Southampton and Winchester, and the support that the University and the Union has available to help you get to grips with landlords, contracts and housing disputes.
This tab will aim to give you a general oversight of the average costs of attending university at Southampton.
There are examples of both the essential costs you will incur throughout the year as well as the average costs of the social side of Southampton. However please note that these costs are only an estimated average and may fluctuate at any time.
- Pint of beer: from £2 on campus to £3 in local pubs and bars
- Pub lunch: £6+
- Full english breakfast: £2 - £3 in the SUSU café
- Bus fare: £2 for single journey, £3.50 for an all day pass (bus pass is included in the hall of residence fees)
- Taxis: Up to £12 from halls to town, average £8 (£2 surcharge for taxis of more than 4)
- Club entrance: £0-5, average around £3
- Cinema ticket: £6.30 - £8.00, or £3 at Union Films on campus
- Gym membership: £165-£230 per calendar year from 2017/18
- University halls of residence: from £92.33 to £193 per week (self-catered single room includes belongings insurance)
- Private accommodation: average £80 - £86 per week rent only (utility charges are billed to you by service provider)
- Food: £30 - £40/£1170 - £1560
- Toiletries: £5/£195
- Course related costs: £390
- Insurance: £100
- Laundry: £5/£195
- Social and sporting activities: £36/£1440
- Mobile phone: £6/£234
- TV license:* £2.80/£145.50
- Internet*: £6/£312
Total estimated cost (excluding rent): £4181 - £4571
* Please note that you can apply for a refund of part of the TV Licence fee is it is not required for the whole year. Check with Internet service providers terms and conditions of contracts. Cost given is the average yearly charge.
Search and apply!